WGL released its sustainability report recently, demonstrating an ongoing dedication to innovation in energy efficiency, community improvement and the implementation of sustainable business practices.
This is the first Corporate Sustainability Report produced by the company; however, sustainability measures and metrics have been a focal point for many years, including in WGL’s Corporate Scorecard, in which almost 20 percent of metrics directly relate to the environment, community and supplier diversity. The Corporate Scorecard is a key input used in determining short-term executive compensation.
The report’s notable results underscore the company’s success and continued focus on achieving aggressive sustainability goals. Highlights include:
• reducing utility fleet and facility carbon emissions by 74 percent between 2008 and 2015.
• alignment with several of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, including access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy (#7).
• more than a $760 million investment to replace and modernize distribution pipelines, in support of sustainable development goal (#9) to “build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.”
• 20 percent reduction in carbon emissions intensity per therm delivered, during a period in which WGL added 76,800 new customers.
• increase in non-gas supplier contracts to businesses owned by minorities, women and service-disabled veterans to more than 26 percent.
• cost-savings and environmental benefits of WGL Energy Services' and WGL Energy Systems' (WGL Energy’s) portfolio of clean and renewable energy offerings.
• information on volunteer service contributions to the communities where WGL operates, including an annual Day of Weatherization to help improve energy efficiency for those who might have trouble paying their bills.
“Our sustainability initiatives are embedded in everything that we do, both for our customers and in our corporate culture - from pipe replacement, to vehicle operations, to recycling and the promotion of clean and efficient energy offerings,” said Terry D. McCallister, President and CEO of WGL Holdings, Inc. and Washington Gas. “Sustainability is not just the job of one department or team, but rather tied to the entire organization as one of our core values, and we are proud of our accomplishments.”
The full report, which uses the Global Reporting Initiative GRI-4 framework, is available as an interactive online PDF, allowing readers to directly access discussions about how WGL is engaging customers about safety, energy savings or carbon reduction.
For more information on WGL and its sustainability efforts, visit sustainability.wglholdings.com.
WGL (NYSE: WGL), headquartered in Washington, D.C., is a leading source for clean, efficient and diverse energy solutions. With activities and assets across the U.S., WGL consists of Washington Gas, WGL Energy, WGL Midstream and Hampshire Gas. WGL provides natural gas, electricity, green power and energy services, including generation, storage, transportation, distribution, supply and efficiency. Our calling as a company is to make energy surprisingly easy for our employees, our community and all our customers. Whether you are a homeowner or renter, small business or multinational corporation, state and local or federal agency, WGL is here to provide Energy Answers. Ask Us. For more information, visit us at www.wgl.com.