The temperature continues to fluctuate, and there are some days when
it’s hard to imagine that summer will eventually be here. However, the official
start of summer is near and energy consumption is likely to be one of your
commercial property’s most significant
operating expenses over the next several months. We've compiled a list of suggestions to help reduce your energy
consumption and electricity bill.
Here are 10 energy saving tips to
help reduce your energy consumption costs this summer:
1. Adjust your thermostat. Raising the temperature by a few degrees in
the summer can have a significant impact
on energy usage.
2. Set back the thermostat in the evenings and other times when your
building is not occupied. Set up trend
logs of your HVAC systems to collect data on whether your systems are going
into night setback mode
3. Use shades and blinds to control direct sun through windows in
summer to avoid an increase in temperature.
4. Install solar shading features on east-, west-, and south-facing
5. Make sure that areas in front of vents are clear of furniture and
paper. As much as 25% more energy is necessary to distribute air with blocked vents.
6. Replace inefficient cooling equipment with new high-efficiency equipment that has a higher
coefficient of performance (COP) than the existing equipment.
7. Visually inspect the condition of the heating and cooling coils and
the AHU filters. If the coils are dirty or the filters are clogged, change out
the filters and clean the coils.
8. Eliminate Single-Pass Cooling Systems. Single-pass cooling systems
use water to cool equipment, and the water is circulated only once before being
dumped. If possible, modify these systems to be a closed loop.
9. Track and analyze energy consumption using a tool like The Energy
Management Platform (EMP) from WGL Energy Services. The EMP helps you manage
energy consumption and provides recommendations for energy efficient changes.
10. Educate employees and building occupants about how their behaviors
affect energy use.
Additionally, WGL Energy Services (WGL Energy) customers can utilize
our Energy Management Platform (EMP) to help manage your electricity consumption.
The EMP is a free online tool for WGL Energy government, commercial and
industrial customers and can provide you with customized energy efficiency
recommendations that can help you save money.
To access your EMP dashboard for more
personalized energy-saving suggestions, click here.