Spring is officially here and it’s the perfect time to tidy up both indoor and outdoor living spaces. Spring can also be a great time to consider additional steps to make your home or business more sustainable and energy efficient.
Here are five tips for saving energy and making your business more sustainable:
- Install window treatments – When sunlight beams into your windows, it can increase the temperature of your living space. Energy-efficient window treatments such as shades and blinds reflect the heat and make the space cooler, helping to reduce energy consumption.
- Have heating/cooling systems serviced – Routinely replacing air filters and having your HVAC system serviced can lower your home’s energy consumption by up to 15 percent.
- Utilize a programmable thermostat – As the temperature rises, setting the temperature higher when you’re not at home on warmer days can reduce energy costs by 10 percent.
- Seal air leaks – Drafts from open windows or doors keep air flowing in and out of your home, which could impact your energy costs.
- Consider wind energy – Wind energy is a clean energy source that is environmentally friendly and cost effective. It requires no equipment installation and is billed directly on your current electric utility bill.
These simple adjustments can make a difference in your energy consumption and, ultimately, how much your home or business pays each month. For help meeting your sustainability goals, becoming more energy efficient or learning more about the latest renewable energy solutions for your home or business, visit wglenergy.com or call 1-844-4ASK-WGL to speak with one of our energy experts.
Lester, P. (2015, March 20). 10 Energy Saving Tips for Spring. Retrieved March 15, 2019, from https://www.energy.gov/articles/10-energy-saving-tips-spring
Dolce, C. (2019, February 26). 5 Reasons Spring Is the Most Dynamic Weather Season. Retrieved March 20, 2019, from https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-26-spring-weather-tornadoes-flooding-heavy-snow-temperature-changes